With breathtaking inventions, jaw-dropping architecture, and top-notch technology, Dubai has created a place for itself on the global map. The sky-piercing buildings, artificial islands, colossal shopping malls, colorful markets, incredible theme parks, vast desert, and several unique attractions add to the glory of the city. With so many things to offer, it is no surprise that this UAE gem attracts millions of tourists from all over the world. The US is one of them; people travel from here to Dubai to soak in the sun, sand, and sea, and to indulge in retail therapy. If you are planning to visit Dubai from the US, here is all the information on how to apply for your Dubai visa.
Do United States citizens need a visa to enter Dubai?
American citizens do not need a Dubai visa if they fulfill the following criteria:
- The applicant must have an original passport, which must be valid for at least six months from the date of arrival in the UAE.
- The applicant also needs to have a confirmed round-trip airline ticket or a confirmed ticket to any other destination in the UAE. (Which shows that you will leave the country on a specific date)
As a US citizen, you are eligible for a Visa on Arrival (VoA) at the airport, and you can stay for up to 30 days in the UAE. This VoA is a single-entry visa; if you want a multiple-entry visa, you must apply for the same. However, if you plan to stay longer, contact one of the local immigration offices and apply for a Dubai visa extension. There will be extension fees based on the duration of your visa and the visa type.
Documents Required to Apply for a Dubai Visa for US citizens
To apply for a Dubai visa, you must have the following documents ready:
- Your original passport, with a minimum validity of six months from the date of entering the UAE, with at least one blank page for stamping.
- Clear passport-size photograph against a solid white background.
- Scanned color copies of the first and last pages of your passport
- Proof of return to your home country (This can be confirmed air tickets for the return journey to the US or any other destination)
- Visa permission
- If you plan to stay with a friend or relative, a letter from the sponsor will be helpful, or else proof of hotel bookings.
- Travel and health insurance for your entire stay in the UAE
- Proof of funds to cover the expenses for your entire trip.
- If you have visited the UAE before, you must submit a scan of the page with the exit stamp.
- A security deposit of AED 5500 in some cases, which will be refunded to you once you exit the country.
Note: You may have to submit any other document as deemed necessary by the UAE immigration authorities. Failure to submit the required documents or an incomplete visa application process is one of the top Dubai visa rejection reasons.
Process to Apply for a Dubai Visa
You can follow these steps to apply for a Dubai visa.
- Fill up the online Dubai visa application form with essential details such as your full name, passport number, date of birth, residential address, nationality, travel date, etc.
- Upload a recent passport-size photo according to the UAE visa photo specifications.
- Submit all necessary supporting documents for Dubai visa processing as discussed in the documents section.
- Pay the visa fees using a debit or credit card, PayPal, or any other accepted mode of payment.
- You will receive your evisa via email once it is approved. Kindly take a printout of the same to show to the authorities at the border.
Note: An UAE immigration official will stamp the Visa on Arrival on your passport at the border checkpoint when you enter the UAE.
- What is the duration of processing a Dubai tourist visa?
A Dubai visa usually takes 3-5 working days to process. If you want express visa processing, it is mostly done in 24-48 hours.
- My visa was rejected. Can I get my visa fees back?
The visa application fee is not refundable, whether your visa is approved or rejected.
- What is the cost of a single-entry Dubai tourist visa?
A single-entry Dubai tourist visa costs approximately AED 405. However, the fees may differ depending on factors like the type of visa you are applying for and the duration of your stay. Also, keep in mind that there will be a few hidden costs, like service charges and a visa processing fee.
- How soon can I apply for a Dubai visa from the US?
Though you may receive your visa in 3-5 working days, it is recommended that you apply for it at least a few weeks in advance to avoid any last-minute delays. Also, the UAE visa rules keep changing, so it is better to research the latest visa rules before you apply for a Dubai visa.
- What are the different UAE visa types for US citizens?
A UAE tourist e-visa is valid for two months from the issue date. US citizens can stay in the UAE for up to 30 days, 60 days, or 90 days. If you have applied for a 30-day visa, you can extend it for another 30 days by requesting it from the immigration officer at the airport.
Once you are already in the UAE, if you wish to extend your visa, you can request the local immigration office to provide an extension. You usually have a 10-day grace period after your first 30 days to apply for the extension. However, it is always recommended that you apply for an extension within the 30-day validity period.
Dubai ticks all the right boxes, whether you love culture, adventure, or nature. Like any other country, the UAE places great importance on its values, culture, and traditions. Research a little about the laws and regulations of the country and adhere to them for a stress-free and peaceful holiday. Dubai is known for its unparalleled Emirati hospitality and welcomes all tourists with open arms. So, apply for a Dubai visa now, and rest assured that you will have the most amazing time here.